Tuesday, March 06, 2012

The Things I Have Learned Through The Many Years of Quizzing

There's a poem written by Robert Fulgham called "All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten." In this poem, the author argues that the life lessons he needed to learn he learned not when he graduated from high school or college, but rather in kindergarten. I remember in my freshman year of high school my English teacher read us the poem, and for a creative writing exercise, she has us write a poem called, "All I Really Need To Know I Learned in ___". The blank was an area of our lives of our own choosing in which we learned a lot of lessons. Naturally, the quizzer in me chose to make mine "All I Really Need to Know I Learned In Quizzing." My teacher said we needed only 10 (or at least 10), but I went up to 12. Since I wrote that in 9th grade, I've kept, and as the years passed, when I found a new "lesson" I learned, I added it. And before you know it, I had 25. So I would like to share with my fellow quizzers, for I bet some of these are true for them. Some are meant to be serious, and some are meant to be funny. Some are obvious, while others are inside jokes. Some are judgings and rulings. No matter what the case is, I hope you enjoy all 25...

  1. "The King of Heaven," "The Lord of Heaven" and "The God of Heaven" are not the same people.
  2. Moses had different staffs: the staff that turned into a snake, the staff that struck the Nile, Aaron's staff and Moses's staff (the only one interchangeable with "the staff of God").
  3. Disciples are sometimes apostles, apostles are sometimes disciples
  4. You must obey the ruling of the staff/authority, no matter how wrong, weird or ridiculous it sounds.
  5. Don't think; just buzz.
  6. Repeating an answer doesn't make it any more right
  7. Just keep babbling; you'll eventually say something right/wrong
  8. If you are split between a couple of possible answers, and you have a gut feeling learning towards one, go with the other. The gut feeling is always wrong.
  9. With more years experience, comes less need to practice
  10. If you are trying even the slightest to complete to goal (quizzing out, Top 50 Quizzers List, perfect quizzer, etc.), you are already trying too hard. Don't try, and you'll get there right away.
  11. There is such thing as "cheering too loud."
  12. There is such thing as having "too much fun" and having "not enough fun." Strive to be in between.
  13. Flipping coins in a quiz match is having "too much fun" and is a bad way to make a decision.
  14. Everything can be solved through Rock, Paper Scissors
  15. There is a science to jinxing
  16. The different names for bovine and swine
  17. God and Moses always spoke in third person
  18. The Bible is very repetitive
  19. All liars go to hell
  20. If you walk into a Burger King, you better come out with enough Burger King crown for everyone
  21. Head gear, such as wigs and hats, block brain waves transmissions
  22. Dark Chocolate improves memory, even by just sniffing it
  23. Knowledge puffs up, but love is both puffy and poofy
  24. God is a cheerful giver, Ha! Ha! Ha!
  25. An idolater (pronounced "eye-doll-it-tore") is someone who worships idols. An idolater (pronounced "eye-dull-ate-or") is an imaginary part of a car that shifts the car into idle.

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...