Tuesday, February 03, 2009

This is the written account of week 2 at Blainsport

Last Sunday was the opening of the quizzing season. We had 4 weeks to prepare for it, and after 4 Thursdays and 1 Sunday preparation, all we got was 1-1 record, 67.5 point average, 10 errors and 2 error outs. Now that we are fully underway into the quizzing season, we now only have 1 Thursday and 1 Sunday to prepare. This Sunday was special because it was Super Bowl Sunday. The Super Bowl pushes quizzing to 2 p.m. and that gives us only the Sunday School hour and whatever little time before the match to study. So that means we only had 1 Thursday and 1/2 Sunday to quiz our best. Let's see what it produced.

Our first match was against the home team Blainsport right in their home sanctuary. I saw Blainsport quiz earlier, and saw their perfect quizzer fall. Since he sat in seat 4, I decided I would also sit in seat 4. The best way to describe the match would be "sloppy." By question 10, I had gotten 2 buzz in correct and 2 errors. My teammates weren't doing any better, getting lots of errors. Luckily Blainsport didn't pick many of them out. By the team we got to review material, I still hadn't quizzed out. On my first match of the second week, my perfection flashed before my eyes. But after our timeout between questions 13 and 14, Tim and Mike asked, "You want this next question?" Of course I said yes. They replied, "This next questions is yours." Question 14 was "What produced..." and not wanting to give up, I buzzed in. At that time, all I could think was how the question would end: "What produced vegetation..." or "What produced living creatures..." I knew I was going to either quiz out or error out. Then it hit me, "either way the question ends, the answer is still the same!" So I answered, "the land" and I got it right! (This is not true because of verb tense changing, and you'll see the irony about that later.) Quizzed out question 14 on full count. Couldn't have pulled it any closer. Sadly that was the highlight of the match. We got 7 errors and lost points, but more greatly lost the match 30 to 60.

We had back-to-back matches, so we had to hurry downstairs to our match with Living Rock 3. I sat in seat 3 this time. This time I had totally changed. I buzzed in on questions 5, 6, and 7, and got them all right. I quizzed out on 3 consecutive right buzz ins! While I was able to turn my game around, the team performed did the same. Tim got 2 errors, and we took him out to increase our change for team bonus. On the brighter side alyssa picked up a bonus, getting her second score for the year. We still came short for team bonus. Another loss, 55 to 75.

Then the next match I went back to as I did the next match, but my team took off. The match was against Emmanuel, and as I usually like sitting across from the top/perfect quizzers, I sat across from Emily Timberlake, perfect Emmanuel quizzer. I started our match off with an error. Tim, probably frustrated because he hadn't quizzed out since the first match (lol), went full throtle into 3 questions, buzzing in on each of them, answering each right, and quizzing out. He was the second Spring City quizzer to do this on Sunday. Two-thirds through the match, I found myself at full count again. But this time, my 2 right was 1 buzz in and 1 bonus. Emily and I at this point had been helping each other by sharing bonuses. On question 12, she quizzed out, keeping her perfect record (Congratulations emily!!). Once again, my perfect record flashed before my eyes. Question 13 was, "What produced thorns..." and I buzzed in. I knew I was either going to quiz out or error out. But I knew this one, and then realized how much blessing I got on the first one. I answered "the ground" and got it right for the quiz out. The following question Mike made the match better by getting us team bonus. This match we won 105-55. This was the first match we got team bonus, first match we scored in the triple digits, and only the second match we won all season so far.

So I guess the best way to describe the whole day was sloppy. I know that a lot of it is my fault. I take full responsibility and apologize to my team. After an errorless week, I got 4 this week. That is unacceptable from me. I should be able to do better than that. As the team's leading quizzer, I feel responsible to not only quiz out, but quiz out as fast as I can to give me subbing teammates an equal oppurtunity. My late quiz outs have denied that oppurtunity for the subs to get in early. I am sorry for that. I cannot be a good example or good leader if I myself keep getting errors. Even though I only average 2 errors a week, I will do my best to decrease these errors. I also want to be able to help my teammates do their best. Any way I can help, just tell me. Let us unite as a team under God to do better and grow in the Lord.

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...