Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Week 3: Neffsville

This week quizzing was the same day as the Super Bowl. As all matches Super Bowl Sunday, it began at 2 PM. Because of that, we needed practice during church hour. After doing a Wawa run for lunch, I went to the Deitricks. They took me to the church to practice at the Sunday School hour. At the Sunday school practice, I quizzed out twice, and errored out once. I felt mostly ready, but I needed to practice more.

At 12:30, we left for Neffsville. I ate on the ride up, while answering questions thrown at me. I realized how much I had no idea where the questions were coming from. So I tried to read more on the way up. When we got there, I found all my rooms, so I decided where to sit. I wanted seat 3 every match. We went back to worship. I saw Reading come in. Christine asked me, "That guy on Reading..." she pointed to someone. "Who is he?" I replied, "SHE would be Becky Moss." lol. Funny. By now, the energy drink kicked in. I was shaking all over the place. Jai kept telling me to hold still, but I couldn't. Cuz it was QUIZZING!! After worship, we had 2 back-to-back matches.

The first match was the Match of the Year. SPRING CITY VS. READING 2. For every match of the year, I have a goal to complete in it. It's like a mini-goal, or a goal inside the big goal. For this match, I wanted to be the first to quiz out, on my team and on Reading's team. I wanted to sit across from Becky, but I didn't get the chance. So I got the next best thing, I sat across the second person I wanted to, Morgen. The first two questions I buzzed in and got correct. I was sure I would quiz out on question 3, but Becky got in before me. That's the second time quizzing out on all buzzes on question 3 got away from me. If they didn't I would have done that 3 times by now. I did quiz out by question 5. It's a good thing that I didn't quiz across Becky. She got two errors. Right now, I have not gotten a single bonus to this date. Every point, every quiz out, I earned on my own. Morgen got nothing on me. I quizzed out, along with Mike, and Jai. We won 105 to 35. I completed my goal by quizzing out before everyone, including a Moss. It was a successful match.

My second match was against Petra 4. We had played them before, last year. They were our opener, and we tied. The team was different this year. I quizzed out. Michael did as well. One of those questions was to name the 12 disciples. He did it, and finished just in time. In the end, our team won 80 to 55.

After that match, our last match didn't happen until the end. So we had 4 rounds between. We watched 2 of Reading 2's matches. There wasn't a lot of improvement between them. I also one of the Petra 7 matches. They got destroyed. We all thought this would be an easy match. Time would tell....

Our last match finally came. It was against Petra 7. One of the quizzers I noticed from last year's Petra 4. I sat in seat 4. The match did not go as smoothly as we wanted it to good. I was slow. Christine wasn't getting in. Michael got 2 errors, one of them being "Name the 12 disciples" again (He forgot Matthew). We began to get our act back together after a well needed time out. I quizzed out. This was followed by Jai quizzing out for her second time. Pretty good for her first year. The scorekeeper called team bonus for Petra 7, but she made a mistake and quickly took it back. But Petra 7 was still one away from team bonus. After question 14, the score was 75 to 60 in Petra 7's favor. On the last question, Mike got in and answered correctly. Out of nowhere, we pulled off a win, with the score 80-75. We should have never gotten that, but we did.

As soon as the match was done and hands were shaken, I left immeadiately for home. I did make it home in time for the opening coin toss. And I picked the right team to win. The Steelers won 21 to 10. Now that football is over, we can now fully concentrate on quizzing.

Tuesday night standings were posted. I was amazed. My average of 32.86 points raised me up to 13th place (tied with 9 others). The only people higher are the 12 perfect quizzers. This is extremely good. This is the highest I ever been on the top 50 Quizzers List. Despite a bad match, Mike stayed on the Top 50 Quizzers List. He is currently 38th with 4 other quizzers. Jai really moved up. She now has 2 quizouts, 120 points and is in 103rd! Not bad for the first year. What surprised me even more was our team's standings. We didn't move. We are still tied for 4th place with another team. But the team we are tied with has changed. Instead of Conestoga 1, we are tied with Petra 3. Our team now has an average of 95. We'll see if we can get it back up to 100. Maybe practice tonight will reflect that.

Quizzing Question of the Post:
What kind of jar did the sinful woman bring?

Quizzing Joke: Mistranslanted Bible text - Quizzing In the Gospel
Luke 7:40-43
40. Jesus answered the Pharisee, "Simon, let's have a quizmatch." "Okay, teacher," Simon said.
41. Jesus gave him this quizzing material: "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42.Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both."
"Question number 1," Jesus began to ask, "Which of them will love..."
"Oh, I think I know!" Simon the Zealot said as he jumped up. "The man who owed 50 denarii"
"Sorry, that's incorrect," Jesus said. "The bonus is for Simon the Pharisee. Bonus Question. "Which of them will love the moneylender more?"
43. Simon answered, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."
"You are correct," said Jesus. "Ten points for you."

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...