Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Week 6: Weaverland

Quizzing started as normal. I arrived at 12:15 PM. I got my secret sponser gift, the biggest one yet. I had my usual lunch of Soup-at-Hand and an energy drink. This week's energy drink was MDX, Mountain Dew Energy Soda. Some of you may know it by its ad slogan which has the song "I Wear My Sungleasses at Night." Bruce does and was singing it all day and night. Mrs. Deitrick pointed out that it had some vegetable oil in it and I could sometimes swear you could taste it. When I was eating, some kid took my foam finger, ripped off the finger sticking up, and ran off with it. Needless to say, there is no more foam finger. But to some of you, that may be a blessing.

We had 4 practice matches. I was able to quiz out in all of them. Bekah's column on the score sheet is usually empty, so Mike raised the stakes to encouraged Bekah to try more. Mike told her if she could quiz out by question 10 anytime, he would buy her a jar of jam. (This comes from Bekah's "Jar of Jam" answer in a practice match). I never seen Bekah try so hard to quiz out. And when she didn't, she got so down about it. I thought it was a little crazy, but hey, if it works, it works!!

We arrived at Weaverland at 6 PM. I didn't recognize the place at first, but once we got in the building, I realized that I quizzed there before. Like I said last post, we had the first, middle and last match. So we jumped right into quizzing. Our first match was against Neffsville 1. We performed just I wanted us to. I was first to quiz out. Mike then followed. During review, Christine quizzed out! For the first time in her 7 year quizzing career, Christine finally quizzed out!! The awesomeness. Those 3 quiz outs led us to win against Neffsville 1 with the score 105-45.

We had to wait two matches until our middle match. The next match we went to watch was Petra 3 vs. Conestoga 3 since we had to quiz both teams later that night. It was a close match in the beginning, but then Petra 3 took off and won. We knew it would be a hard match upcoming. Then we went to go support our friends on Zion 2. Mike and I decided that the room was too quiet, so we raised the volume for cheering. They had a hard match, too. Mel didn't do too pretty.

Our middle match came up. It was our hardest match today, possibly second hardest all season. It was against 3rd place Petra 3. And they showed they deserved 3rd. They were fast at the buzzer. After 11 questions, I had 2 correct and 1 error. Not pretty. Three questions later and still nothing from me. So being the 15th question, and having only one error and really wanting the quiz out, I decided just to go for it (despite hating review). I buzzed in on "How many loaves...?" I figured to go with the obvious and answered "Five." I was correct. I got my second quiz out. Unfortuneately, my team lost 105 to 55. That 55 would hurt our average.

Between the middle and last match, we watched Good Shepherd 1 vs. Weaverland 2. They were the top two teams in our league. It was a low-scoring match, but a good one. Each team slowed down the other. There was an error out in it. In the end, the number 1 team came out #1. Good Shepherd won over Weaverland 2, 75 to 50. But I think both of them lost in the sense they were much under average score.

We were the last match of the night. It was against Conestoga 3. It was one of the lower teams, but they were a challenge. The first one to quiz out was on Conestoga 3. I quizzed out further into the match. We got team bonus, something our team hadn't gotten in a long time, and needed. The final score was 95-65, in our favor. While I was hoping to score in the triple digits again, 95 is close.

That night was awesome. I got 3 quiz outs, the best I could do, and it did so much for me. I got a total of 14 quiz outs, breaking my previous personal quiz out record of 12 quiz outs. It gave me a year total of 510 individual points, tying my personal all-time high score. With scoring 510, I have CLINCHED the Top 50 Quizzers List! No matter what I score in the next 3 matches, I end up on the Top 50 Quizzers List. But I plan to do better than that. Once again, so cool to see Christine quiz out for her first time, especially since this may be her last year. Mike wasn't so lucky. I calculated he needed 4 quiz outs to end up on the Top 50 Quizzers List the end of the season. He only got one. It may be possible to still do it, but a very small probability. People above him would need to do worse than him, plus he would need to quiz out both times next week.

Another awesome thing about this night was I got 4 opportunities to be on the quizzing video this year! The first time is when I, along with the rest of my team, cheered wildly for Zion 2. The second time is when the team did the wave. The third time is when I posed with my quizzing buddy, a lawn gnome. The fourth time I led a bunch of other quizzers across the balcony doing the horse galloping (without coconuts) from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. With all that, I hope that I can get somewhere on the 2006 quizzing movie!

Quizzing Question of the Post:
What perched on the musterd tree's branches?

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...