Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Supposedly the easiest week? Ups and downs.

Week 3 of the quizzing season started off crazy with the snowstorm that went from Friday to Saturday. Even though the snowstorm was done by Saturday, the snow drifted back onto the roads. Sunday School was cancelled, but church service was still on. But we needed practice for the Sunday School hour because he had limited practice in the new afternoon. So I contacted the quizzers and they were all willing to still come out for quiz practice. I hope their driving circumstances weren't as bad as mine. My car stalled starting up, and I slipped about 3 times trying to turn. The scariest part was passing buggies. But I made it in one piece, and so did everyone else. During the Sunday School hour, we read the material and got off two practice matches, althought the second match I only gave them 15 seconds to think. After that, we joined together in worship. Following worship the quiz team ate a warm lunch of sloppy joe and mac n cheese, provided by my mom. We were making good time, so we did 2 more practice matches: 1 new, 1 missed questions. We wanted enough time to drive in the snow, so we left about 1 PM for Bowmansville. We got there around 1:20-1:30 did rounds of questions in a classroom, then joined everyone for worship.

Conestoga's first match was during the second round. We quizzed against Bowmansville 2. Since it was aginast Bowmansville, we were up in the sanctuary. I introduced the quizzers to a sanctuary match, telling them to listen carefully to the quizmaster and talk into the microphones. The match started off with Bowmansville, but Conestoga got back into the swing of things. Kristy, Joy, and Denise all got a buzz-in. We were only one away from team bonus. All we needed was Justin. Denise quizzed out, putting in Meredith and increasing our chance for team bonus. On one question, Justin buzzed in...and errored. I told him to shake it off and keep on trying because we needed him. Soon enough, Justin buzzed in on "What do we partake..." I knew Justin had this because "partake" was one of the keywords. Justin answered "the body of Christ" and got it correct! Of course I went wild; it was our first team bonus of the year! When the quizmaster heard, and was told, he said, "I was wondering what all the commotion was about. That's team bonus." I replied, "DARN RIGHT!" Justin also got the last question right for team bonus, giving Conestoga the win 95-30.

We watched Hope of the Nations for the match in between, and then we were off to our next match. We were quizzing Weaverland 2 downstairs. I had bad memories of that place because that is where I lost my last perfection for the last time. I hoped the team would avenge. That would not happen. Weaverland was just too fast. They got very good buzzes, and on the ones that weren't, they got luck on their answers. Weaverland's point went quickly the the triple digits. Maybe out of frustration, Denise somehow squeezed a quiz out. Conestoga lost with 45 points.

Since we only had 2 matches, and the Super Bowl was 3 hours away, we all went back to the respective Super Bowl party. While the quizzers went to Dylan Beam's, I went back to the college because I had homework I need to finish. The college did put on a decent party for the Super Bowl. They even had a contest to who had the right winner and the closest score. I lost because I picked the Colts. It looked like the Colts were going to win, but with the Peyton Manning interception, the only interception of the game, it turned the game around to the Saints, and sealed the victory to them. The Saints won 31 to 17.

Back to Conestoga and quizzing, Conestoga's average dropped from 74 to 73 points per match. It's not too much, so hopefully we would stay in the same ranking. I was hoping the 95 point match would boost us, but with the 45 point match, it would only negate it. But I believe the quizzers did their best, and we got the best results we could get. Jesus be praised. We'll just keep practicing and learning. And with the snow storm coming, that might become an issue.

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...