Monday, March 05, 2007

I hate double weeks

This week we had a double week. Unable to have practice on Saturday, we had a practice for the Sunday School hour. It was fast so we could get in as much as possible. It was all on the missed week material, and none from the new material. We did fairly well. I, as well as the rest of the team, felt like we knew the old material better than the new material, but that contradicted how I felt leaving practice on Thursday. So on my own time I studied the old material. We were able to stay for all of church, and left once we had lunch.

We went to Ridgeview so early because we wanted to study more the old material. But we had fun with those matches. We switched name tages and acted like the person's name tag we had. It was fun being Mike, grunting and using big words. Dave even got in on it, and prentended to be Vicki by kneeling to get the height right. We had fun, got some right, got others wrong. It wasn't too bad.

The matches started off without any worship singing, announcements or jokes. The first match I watched was Petra 1 vs. Zion 1 because I was rooting for my friends on Zion 1 and scouting out the opponants on Petra 1. Petra 1 started out slow, but caught up, reaching 135 by the end of the match. Their perfect quizzer quizzed out with 2 errors. It was time for us to go to the 1990 Hall (which Dave kept calling the 190 Room, for a reason I don't know why) for our match.

We were in the 1990 Hall against Petra 3. The match didn't go as well as we would have liked. I quizzed out, and Tim barely quizzed out at question 15. Mike was the only quizzer able to get in, and he scored 10. We finished as last minute winners, with the score 80 to 65. Not as much as we wanted. We vowed that we be our lowest score of the day.

Our next match was Neffsville 2. This was believed to be our grace match because they were only 16th place, compared to playing 4th place Slate Hill 1. Easy, right? No. Tim errored out after getting only 10 points. I quizzed out at question 11. Mike, once again, only got 10. Errors added up between Mike, Tim and I. We got 6 errors, causing us to lose 10 points. We lost for the first time, beaten 55 to 65. If we didn't error as much, we would have tied.

I watched the afternoon matches end with Petra 1 vs. Weaverland 1. Even 1oth place Weaverland 1 couldn't stop Petra 1 from reaching into the triple digits score. They lost 120 to 30. We met together in 1990 Hall to eat. We wanted to study and eat, but there were too many people there to have a good study. The Schwagers brought us pizza from Pizza Hut. Zion kept stealing it. Nice, Zion, very Christ-like. I had 2 pieces of Meat Lovers, what I call "Vegetarian Nightmare." Remember those days when I wouldn't eat because I was so nervous? The opposite became true. I was nervous eating. We had only a short time to practice after eating. They were brand new questions, and we did not know how answer those questions. We went into matches unsure of our fate.

It didn't help when we watched Neffsville 2. After winning against us, they could not do as well against Petra 1. Petra won succeeded in winning once again with points in the hundreds. We saw a perfect quizzer stop being perfect. She made a desperate contest to save her perfection, but it failed. Now it was our turn to take on Petra 1. Petra 1 had the first two matches consecutively, but it didn't seem to bother them. A lot of people were there, wanting to see the 1st vs. 3rd. It didn't shake Petra at all. They were fast, they got only few words, but got it right! They got 3 quizouts, mostly on buzzes, allowing nothing for Spring City. I was only able to get 10 points and 1 error. We lost miserably 135 to 30. And Petra 1 didn't even get team bonus!

Shaken, we tried to walk it off. I tried to study by watching Petra 5 vs. Zion 1. Once again, Zion 1 was taking on a Petra we had to take on. I was too knocked off concentration to focus on the match. So I asked Dave to ask me questions. Mr. Deitrick rounded up everyone for questions again. We were only able to get a little done before our match came up.

It seemed like we were quizzing against Petra 1 again, because the results were the same. Petra 5 was fast, not allowing us in. Out of 3 situation questions, I only got in for one. Those were the only points I scored. But my errors increased to 2. Bad. Our final score had Petra 5 winning and us losing, 135 to 30/35. I thought I saw 35, but no one quizzed out, and I got ten. Maybe we got 40, but 5 errors later, we lost points. I couldn't tell. I was distraught, and so was Mr. Deitrick. We decided it was best to go home once we were done.

Reflections: It's hard to say what went wrong. I guess you can first say it was the fact we had a snow week. They're evil. It can't be pride. The Deitricks and I feel like we've been hearing that the Lord wanted to remind us that He gave us what we have, and we must always thank Him for what he gave us, good or bad. As for studying, it's hard to study in a double week with twice the material, keeping them separate. The rookies were not ready for it. Maybe it would have been better to use both sets of material at practices. As for the top 3 quizzers on Spring City, it's very sad. No one could quiz out for the past two matches, and Tim and Mike haven't quizzed out for the past 3 matches. Technically, Mike has not quizzed out since our match against Bowmansville 2, which was 3 weeks ago (and ironically he was the first to quiz out on the team). On top of that, we're Mike-less for next week. That means we need a rookie to step up to the plate. We'll work at it, and pray the Lord God will help us.

Quizzing Question of the Post:
Where 4 are the Jews members of the Synagogue of the Freeman?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Graham thats terrible. When I read this to the end it made me want to give you all hugs to cheer you up, although from me I doubt that you'd apreciate it.. :-)

But yea you've been 'Petrafied'. Join the growing crowd.

Anonymous said...

theyll get theirs.




wait till tourniments. heads'll roll.



i looooooove tourniments.
double weeks oficially make me cry.

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...