Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Boycotting bad Banquet

I did start writing about my adventures in the West Liberty, Ohio. And I wrote, and I wrote, and I wrote some more. And I'm still not done. Maybe about 3/5 the way done. I know I haven't written in a long time, so I wanted to put down something. I was going to tell you about the Secret Sponser meet, but I could go on about that, too. I needed something short. So I decided to write about the exact same thing as I did on this date last year.

Jr./Sr. Banquet is the worst display of materialism ever. It's a giant social competition. Who comes in the best car, which girl has the best hairstyle, which girl has the best dress, which guy has the best tux, which couple/group comes in the best vehicle, etc. Heck, it can be a competition to which couple is the best couple. Instead of looking at each other as equals, we are instead trying to compete with each other, trying to rise above each other. It's a time to show-off the best. This competition has destroyed true fellowship. This is one of the worse unchristian things I have seen.

There has been an example about something being done about this. In Connecticut, the principal of a high school noticed how, just like at Dock, the car taken to the prom was such a big deal. He saw this as a sign of a "culture of excess." So he has banned any limos from prom, and instead is having busses transport them. Even a student agreed that the car taken to the prom does not match the student's integrety. It seems like a majority of students agree with this decision. See, it isn't just me! Banquet is too excessive. It shows no integrity. (Click here to get the story if you don't believe me)

Banquet is also so materialistic because it can be such a waste of money. Think about it. Let's use me as an example and suppose I was going to Banquet. I say that going to Banquet costs $50 because some of the class dues go towards the Banquet. Because I have no friends in Dock, my date would come from outside Dock, costing $30. Then both my date and I would go to the dance after the dinner, costing $10 more. Then I would have to pay for everything preparing for the banquet. Renting a tuxedo would be $80, and a decent looking car ('96 Toyota Tercel is not decent), costing $70. Getting my date a coursage and perhaps another boquet of flowers, which would be about $20. That would mean the total I had paid for banquet would be $260! I can't imagine how much this would be for the girls, who buy the dress, and have to get shoes, jewelery and other accesories. Anyhow, I still think $260 is a ridiculous amount to spend on 12-hour period that only happens twices in your lifetime, and then never happens again, and most likely not affecting your future. Seriously, how many people end up marrying their prom date? But going back to the subject of money, think about that money. How much other things could you do with that money? You could still use it for yourself, or you could even think beyond that and use it to help the poor. Giving up money to help those lower than you is very Christian, but using money to uplift and exalt yourself higher than others is not Christian.

I will briefly repeat what I said last year again. Banquet is concentrated on too much. The event causes students to ignore cirricular, co-cirricular, and extra-cirricular activities because they become too obsessed to prepare themselves for the Banquet. It's like it's Banquetitus, a disease. And to some people, it will lead to fatalities. I know some of you may be non-believers in the subject, but there is life after Banquet...

(v. 46)"Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. (v. 47) They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." -Luke 20:46,47

You may possibly think these verse, although saying the word banquet, have nothing to do with Dock' Jr./Sr. Banquet of today, but they do. The word is used in the right context. It talks about people using the social event to put themselves in an honorary position (or we might say popular) at the banquet. Jesus does not want it to be this way. He wants to eat and fellowship with the lowly and sinners just like He did. He wants us to be humble. If we are humble, Jesus will honor us, and that's the highest honor one can get.

As for me, I will not be going to Banquet, just like last year. In a way, you could say I am a conscientious objector of the Banquet. Like a draft card, the Banquet Invitation has been burned (except this one is a little less illegal). I want to once again restate that it has nothing to do with having a date. If I wanted to go and was dateless, I would still go, but I don't. The opposite is true as well. For a while, I did have a girlfriend. She knew about Dock's Jr./Sr. Banquet. I made it clear to her that I did not want to go to Banquet, and she was fine with that. We were not going to Banquet when it came. (We did break up, but I want to make it clear it had nothing to do on the subject of banquet.) What will I be doing instead? I will be going to the Youth Fest held by New Life with my youth group. With only an entry fee of $10, it is worthwhile for me. It's $250 cheaper than going to Banquet. But more importantly, I am getting spiritual growth. From it, I hope to do it by worshipping God and fellowshiping with my youth group. That can last me a lifetime.

But I shall not give up on you, O Christopher Dock. I shall pray for you, pray you do not fall into temptation. I pray that all your do will be pleasing to the Lord, and that you will not sin against Him. I was reminded at a church service a few weeks ago that we must be sad and cry out at the things that God is saddened and cries at. I weep for Christopher Dock on that Saturday. It is such a shame that Christopher Dock has the chance to separate ourselves from the world to better itself, but it chooses not to. I will pray that you will stay away from sin, and if you do, that you will repent and ask for forgiveness. I leave you with a Word from God of hope, which I pray for you guys-

"Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD" -Psalms 25:7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to stand up for what you believe in Graham!

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...