Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In the beginning...we went to LMH

Now I'm not going into detail about everything that happened on Sunday. I just want to set the picture for you on what happened. If I don't, you won't understand.

We had five practice matches the whole afternoon. The hardest practice match was the third one. Mrs. Deitrick's questions were just nasty. Since both Dave and Vicki had written so many questions, and even using questions written 10 years ago, Mrs. Deitrick was really scraping the bottom of the barrell. She was asking lots of footnote questions, putting the footnote in the actual text. (When Tim got heard those questions, he would say, "Those will never be asked!" The irony.) But the last two matches were great. The second to last match was only 2 errors, and none of the bonuses were missed. In our last match, we went 10 questions without an error. Only one error occured, and the bonus was gotten right. Throughout those five matches, everyone quizzed out at least. I myself quizzed out five times. There was even a couple times where Mike quizzed out before Tim. Things were looking good. Our hopes were up, especially knowing we were quizzinga against a brand new team, possibly the easiest team all season. So even when we were driving up, it was looking good. Mike and Tim went up in Tim's car, and the rest of us in the church van. We asked each other questions, and we were getting them right. Things were looking up, things were looking good.

Got to LMH in good timing. Met up with old friends, and find out where they were. Saw who was there, who was not, and whose roles were changed. Some went from quizzer to coach, others were in new churches. Looking around, I realized that the quizzing had completely changed from what I knew it to be when I began. Speaking of which, I decided to dress like I did rookie year, wearing the "jersey" from my rookie year with my first team, Ark Bible. It was different becasue there was no worship, and announcements started at 6:35. I just suspected it was early season confusion. After announcements, I watched the first match of Emmanuel vs. Strasburg 2. Heck, I scorekept. But I was also listening to the questions, and knew the answers to most, if not all of them. I was ready.

But my teammates did not show the same readiness as I was. Robert didn't feel confident. Mike was nervous. We didn't have time for these feelings, we needed to start quizzing. The starters were me, tim, mike and chelsea. Match started well. Tim got the first one right on a buzz in. I knew it, but buzzed too slow. I rebound to answer 2, 3, and 4 in a row, all buzzes all correct. After 4 questions, Goods 1 called the "oh crap" timeout because they were losing 45-0. With my seat now empty, Robert substuted. I had now opened up more room for team bonus. But with no avail. Errors appeared. Tim quizzed out question 9, allowing Alyssa to get in. She helped greatly, buzzing in, and answering "headwaters." We were one away from team bonus. But instead of gaining points, we lost points. We got 5 errors, the 5th error on Mike erroring out question 15. We did win the match against Goods 1, 75-50, but the win was sloppy. I feel bad for Alyssa because she had the first time of participating in team bonus, but we couldn't pull up for her.

We had no time to rest, for our matches were consecutive. The second and final match from the day was against Parkesburg. Not only was this church new to our quizzing, but also one of the first churches that was not Mennonite and quizzing in the ACC. This match was worse than the last one. I quizzed out on question 7, and that was Spring City's highlight of the match. Mike got 20 points, and all were in the last third of the match. Tim got 10 before erroring out himself. Once again, the team gave themselves 5 errors, losing 5 points. We lost our match 60-80.

After the match, Mike said to me, "Graham, I think this is the maddest I have ever seen you." So Mike, if I appeared mad, and that upset/disturbed you, I apologize. I am sorry. It was not meant to be that way. I wasn't really mad, not even upset. I guess "frustrated" would be a better term. I know this is the last year for a lot of people; not only myself, but also you and Tim, and even the Deitricks. I wanted to give that half of the team the best final year. Now for everyone else, I think it is best to recant everything I said in my last post. As much I was hoping we had what it takes, it's not looking good. Spring City already has 10 errors and 2 error outs. Our point average is 67.5. We have to start in 17th place. For the 16 teams ahead of us, we already quizzed 2 of them, and we have to quiz 14 of them in the remainder of the season. I overheard Tim say, "What's the season for? That's for individual." Well, Tim, if that's the way you want go, so be it. I was hoping being our last year, and being in the position we are, we could go for the season championship. But I guess not, since it's all about individual. If that's so, then I am striving to be a perfect quizzer. I was really hoping Tim and Mike could join me for the first couple or few weeks, but I gueess not. If the season is all about individual, then I am shooting for 16 more quiz outs. Please don't interfere. But let me CYB: Cover My Butt. Don't make this look like a selfish stride for pride. I still want our team to do its best. In fact, I make sure one of my questions right is a buzz in so I can set my team up for team bonus. I just don't want to be blamed for making selfish, prideful advances. I do my best for God, my team, and myself every match, which is quizzing out with one buzz in, scoring the maximum 35 points. I buzz in, I quiz out, what more can I do? I don't want those 35 points to be our team only guarenteed points. Let's give it our best, team. Sorry if it seems like I'm now concentrated with individual than team, but I've been put down earlier in my quizzing career and I don't want to be disappointed again this last year.

Thank you, my team, for letting me vent my frustrations. Sorry if this has offened you or made you upset or angry. Once again, don't get me wrong. I am not mad or upset at you. I love my team as a whole, and I love my teammates each individually. All of you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for you all blessings as you go throughout your day and as you quiz. Let us come together as a team on practice Thursday and be prepared to give our best. Let's do this like Brutus! It's on like Donkey Kong!

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...