Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Science Experiement in correct Scientific Method

Two things happened in chapel today. One I won't say, but you'll be able to guess what it is as I go along. The second one was our speaker today mentioned briefly about Science Fair. OK, maybe it was a brief sentance about burning science fair boards (which will become very ironic soon), but it got me thinking back to the days I did Science Fair, and how hard it was to follow all the steps in the Scientific Method. I also thought about I really haven't done a science experiement in a long time. So I thought about a fun science experiment I can do. This is what I came up with.

Title: The effect of fire on Jr./Sr. Banquet Invitation.

Problem: (Problem? Jr./Sr. Banquet is the problem.) How long will will the Jr./Sr. Banquet Invitation last when on fire?

Purpose: To show my approval rating of banquet, which is zero, and possibly dropping into the negatives. Also, to prepare the Banquet Invitation for where it will go (and where Banquet will go), a place of consistant fire, where "the worm never dies and the fire is never quenched" (Mark 9:48).

Hypothesis: If the flame touches the Banquet Invitation, then it will go up in fire and billows of smoke (and blood, lol, Acts 2), and eventually turn into ash. And I will find satisfaction in it doing so.

Materials: 1. Jr./Sr. Banquet Invitation. 2. Lighter. 3. Bowl to catch ashes. 4. Fire safe gloves (I chose the Ove Glove, but any fireplace Gloves will work). 5. Tweezers (if you are really a whusie around fire.). 6. Camera to record progress



Procedure:
1. Gather Materials.
2. To enjoy this more, disrespect the Banquet Invitation. You can do so by (do few, some, or all. It doesn't matter. And you're not limited to these suggestions either): A) Sneezing into it. B) Coughing into it. C) Urinating on it. D) Bury it. E) Use it to wipe off your shoes. F) Mock it. G) Insult it. H) Spit on it. I.) Flog it. J) Kill it. (F to J is a list of 5 from Luke 18. Quizzers would know.) K)Roll it into a ball and kick it around.



I chose D to H. Urinating on it would have been fun, but I wanted to keep it, and the smell would not allowed me to do so. Also, I previously buried it in mud as well.

3. Put the disgraced Banquet Invitation in the bowl.
4. Light the lighter. (FLAME ON!)
5.With the lighter, light the Banquet Invitation on fire.
6.Sit back, watch, enjoy
7. If burnt pieces are too big, set big pieces on fire again! Repeat step 6.
8.Record results.
9.Mix it in with dirt to give it its final disrespects.
10. Seal in little baggie to perserve for all time the memories

Results:

Here it is starting off good....


Now we're talking! Isn't it a thing of beauty? It's so beautiful, man! It made a lovely orange flame. Also, when the translucent stuff caught on fire, it made a popping noise, kind of sounding like the popping of popcorn. It also burned the fastest, and burned right through in one shot.

The pieces were too big the first time I lit the Invitation, so I lit it again! Watch the big pieces turn to gray and shrivel up.




It was burned, color changed, shriveled up, broken down, until it finally got to this-

Now that's better! A nice fine collection of small, fine invitation pieces, or should I say banquet Invitation dust? Ashes is a more proper term, even the big chunks were still ashes.

Conclusion:
My hypothesis was correct. That Banquet Invitation lit up like ant feelers under a magnify glass. And yes, I did enjoy watch it burn, another correct point in my hypothesis. I still have some questions like, "So how many students spent how many hours of their spring break to make this invitation?" and "What's the big deal about an event that happens twice in your lifetime just to not care about for the rest of your life?" Any errors that could have happened was that I didn't disrespect it enough or that I didn't rip it up in the beginning. There was also wind that put out the flame easily and scattered the ashes. Another possible error would have been to keep the invitation, and sell it to some desperate underclassman for a mighty price. I'm not sure that would get pass the faculty and upperclassmen. If I were to repeat the experiment, I would use some some kind of fluid that would ignite easily. Like lighter fluid, alcohol, gasoline, kerosine, or anything else ending in -ine. Also I would do more of the disgraces to it, but not be so worried about keeping it. So I would rip it, shred it, bury it, urinate on it, dig it up, throw it in the toilet, urinate on it again, and flush it. And that list of 5 from Luke 18 would be fun too.

Final thoughts:
So I burned a Banquet Invitation. It's not like I burned an American Flag or a draft card, which I am against both as well. And I did it last year, too, buring the Banquet Invitation made by my own class. The same process. I almost wish I documented it as well. If I had to help with this year's banquet, I wouldn't do that either. And finally, not going, of course. If you are so intrigued my science experiement, you can drop by locker 336 to check out the product of the experiment. It will be on display all next week, Monday to Friday, along with its older sibling from last year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm still waiting for that 2nd story about Ohio Graham

Sara Eddinger said...

This was an amazing story and oh so true. I have disgraced many invitations as such. I am looking forward to getting to know you.

God's best~

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...