Saturday, December 18, 2004

Off-season progress

There are 8-9 months between quizzing seasons. Most people go back to their life with other hobbies. They do other sports, become active in school, etc. Some may just lay back and rest. For me, I quiz.

I believe the new quizzing season begins the Monday after the Invitational. That's when you get started for the material of next year. I'm sad and ashamed to say I waited a whole week before I started on quizzing. Nonetheless, this year I did great progress. I did questions 1 Kings 3, 4:20-34, 5, 6:1, 6:37-38, and 7:51. I also did Judges 6 (don't ask why, it's a long story). That's a total of 104 verses. Last season I did questions for 86 verses and the year before that 73 verses. It's the best I have done so far. I keep improving and I'll only do better. I still can't believe I did 104 verses, and I'm still going! I'm in the progess of 1 Kings 8. I'm not sure I'll get it done, though. It's a whole 66 verses!

Since October, I have been doing buzzer drills. Buzzer drills are anything that I think will improve my buzzer speed. Buzzer drills may be something as simple rapidly pressing a clicky pen. My favorite buzzer drills are using my calculator to see how many buzzes I can reach in a minute. Last year I had a buzzer speed of 310 buzzes per minute. This year, only 300 buzzes/min. It is a bit upsetting and disappointing.

Since Thanksgiving, I have been doing some memorizing. I already memorized 1 Kings 3:1-18. I plan to finish off memorizing the whole chapter of 1 Kings 3. Memorizing is not needed for quizzing, but it is helpful. I started noticing that two years ago.

(Unofficial) Countdown to first quiz match of 2005:
26 days, 3 hours, 50 minutes

Quizzing Question of the Post:
Who are skilled at felling timber?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...