Sunday, January 21, 2007

Another year begins

Some of you may have looked at the post title and wondered, "Graham, we're 2o days into the New Year of 2007. Where were you?" Did you notice I didn't say anything for New Year's Day. I said previously in my birthday rant that New Year can be objective. It starts whenever the person thinks it does. The Chinese and Jewish have it on a different day. My new year....is the first week of quizzing. So this Saturday is New Year's Eve for me! Party! Well, no, not really, but it will be tomorrow, in a way. All the fun we have, it's like a giant party. Plus, we learn God's Word and fellowship with other Christians. Can't beat that!

The year will start off with the 6 quizzers of Spring City all at the church service. During it, the quizzers will be prayed for and "initiated" (maybe "sent off with a blessing" is a better term) into the quiz team. Then we will take part in enjoying the fellowship meal. Once the church has cleared out, practice will commence as normal. We'll get a period of free time. Most of them will use it to play outside, I'll most likely use the time to study or get caught up with Christine. Dinner follows, then once we clean up, it's off the quiz match!

Our first match opens up at LMH as usual. We'll have 2 matches. One against Good shep 2, the other against Blainsport. yes, we are starting our season playing Blainsport again. It will be a goal to score more than the last time, which was 30 points. It's good we are not the first match. It will allow the rookies to see a match before they dive in. And comparing last year, Good shep 2 will be an easy match to start.

Alright, every year I make goal. Time for this year's goal. For the past two years, I've made a goal that came in parts. This year is a flat straight out goal. I will finish as one of the top 5 quizzers. I know it sounds like a big goal, but not for me. I finished 12th, and the top 5 is a minimum of 7 places away, so it is challenging, but possibly. I was thinking about tagging some parts onto it, but by finishing in top 5, I will either tie or beat the goal. This year changes everything because there is only 17 matches. That means a perfect score is 595 points. Everything readjusts By finishing in the top 5, I need to quiz out a lot. Last year, I got a high of 15 quizouts, and that's 525 points alone. Even if I scored the max points without quizzing out, I get no higher than 565 points. Not good enough. I'll need to get at least 16 quiz outs to get there.

That's my goal, or in keeping with the New Year's spirit, my resolution. I got little margin of error, but I know I can do it. Our team looks very promising this year. 3 quizzers from last year's top 70, each one equally ready to quiz out. A fourth one is dependable on team bonus. Scoring 135 points no longer a wishful daydream, but a possible reality. Every year I say it's gonna be my year, but this year, I'm saying it's OUR year. Go Spring City!!

And I just realized that I started this on Saturday, and ended Sunday. So if the tense change, I apologize, and fix them to your fit.

Countdown to the first quizmatch of 2007:
17 HOURS, 26 MINUTES

Quizzing Question of the post:
What 5 commandments does the rich young ruler know?

Quizzing Joke:
Q: What spiritual landmark was broken for a time?
A: The great chasm between Heaven and hell, becaused it had to be fixed :-)

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...