Monday, January 29, 2007

Weaverland - sounds like an amusement park

After this past Sunday, we are a quarter way through the quizzing season (yes, already, but with only having matching once a week until the end of March, it goes by fast). We entered the week as numero uno in the top of our league, with 3 perfect quizzers. Would we be able to perform up to what we had done the previous Sunday?

I enjoyed being able to return to my church for this Sunday service. Everyone was excited to wonder how I was doing. I was glad to give the good news. I couldn't stay to the end, I had to get to Spring City. I got there at 12:12, and they were already done. We had to still wait for Tim. Chelsea had to stay home and finish a school project. And it was a movie that watched in class that she missed due to sickness! Like I said, teachers are against quizzing and forming a conspiracy to not allow quizzers to quiz. Don't roll your your eyes at me! In the mean time, I got my secret sponsor gift. It was a fast bowl of soup, an orange candle and an inspirational note. Christine also gave me a gift. I got a cool quizzing buddy. It's an orange block that makes sounds when you hit it against something. It is so awesome. Luckily, Tim did arrive soon. He got a whole 2 liters of Mountain Dew! I reminded Tim that any soda over a liter was communal. He did share. I had a wicked mix of his Mountain Dew and my Monster. I called it "Monster Dew." Mrs. Deitrick threatened to kill me if my head blew off, but it didn't.

Practices could have gone better. For me, I was a little slow, but did eventually quiz out. There were a few error outs, too. Our only rookie at the time was buzzing, but he wasn't getting them right. Christine wasn't answering as much as before, but the ones she got in on, she was great. After I went over with her the section she seemed to be struggling in, she did better. When Chelsea rejoined the scene, she performed the same as usual. I thought practice could have gone better, but I have to remember that instead of 3 weeks to study, this was the beginning to have only a week to get it down. So if you think about that, we're pretty good. We had fun, though. Michael was suppose to read 5 verses, but lost count and read 10. He also insisted that he went to a hemp clothing store. What an odd man.

After dinner, and fully loaded of Monster Dew, we headed off to Weaverland. We arrived a few minutes before the worship. I met up with a few people, and I was fortunate to have some from my church (Frederick) to come. Everyone wanted to see the duct tape crow, duct tape tie, and duct tape sculture which didn't come out the way I was hoping). After the worship, to my surprise, they announced all the perfect quizzers. It must be because they had fifty, most likely a record high. So my name, along with Tim's and Mike's, rang throughout the sanctuary of Weaverland. They announced by church, but I wished they would have done it by team, so that others would realize that a team had 3 perfect quizzers. And poor Michael, still can't pronounce his last name right. It's now Swaiger. Then the matches started. First, I watched Blainsport vs Reading. Tim kept score, but had problems spelling the team names. Reading won. Then I watched Emmanuel, to scout them out. But they were playing my friends Zion 1, so it was all good. I kept score for this one. Zion had two quiz outs, but the errors killed them. Emmanuel came back and helped them win. I'm assuming that's their first win, so congratulations Emmanuel!

Our match was up in the room I was in. I was there, and so was Chelsea, Bryan, Christine, and Mr. and Mrs. Deitrick. Even our fans were there. Where was Tim and Mike? No one knew. Mr. Moss called Tim's cell, and Mr. Schwager called Mike's phone. Surpringly, both had their cell phone off. They eventually came. We prayed with the other team, and we were ready for quizzing. I sat across from Kendall Garber, currently the only perfect quizzer. For the first two question, I buzzed in and answered them right. I was one away from quzzing out! I buzzed in...and errored. As the match went on Mike got 2 and Tim got 2. I quizzed out on question 8. The match continued. Chelsea picked up a bonus, scoring for the second time in her quizzing career. Tim errored at question 13. After question 13, Tim was one away from quizzing out, Mike was one away from quizzing out, and either Christine or Chelsea still needed to get in for team bonus. Question 14 went to Byerland. I knew by that time, we only getting only team bonus or a single quiz out. That also meant we were going to have one less perfect quizzer. On question 15, Tim quizzed out. We won 100 to 65. We got 2 errors in the match, a high so far.

Now I watched a few more matches. Now I watched Reading take on Emmanuel, and they won again. Reading is a team to watch out for. Then I watched Zion 2 take on Rockville...and got beaten badly. Glad they're not on our league. Watched Zion 1 vs. Neffsville. This time, errors helped Zion. Neffsville took an early lead, but they got too many errors, giving lots of bonuses to Zion 1. They did win.

Now I hurried off to our second match, the last match of the night. It was against Emmanuel. The match was not easy flowing like I we'd want it to be. I errored twice, once on a situation question that I got in too early and the other on a question I didn't think through enough. Tim also jumped in on getting two errors. The last 5 questions is when we really took off. Mike made up for not quizzing out by being the first one to quiz out on question 10. Tim quizzed out on question 13 and I followed in on the next question. On the last question, Christine got in for team bonus. We won 135 to 40.

So things changed last night and set some things in motion. After 4 matches, Spring City is 4-0, undefeated. Each match we have scored points in the triple digits. Our opponents have scored at the highest 65 points. Our average has dropped slightly, to 131. Hopefully, we're still on top, although the average is 14 points/match less. Spring City has two perfect quizzers, me and Tim. In 4 matches, both of us have scored a total of 140 points, averaging 35 points/match. There are other points where we are near perfect. 3 of the 4 matches, we had 3 quizzers quiz out. 3 of the 4 matches, we got team bonus. So now we wait and pray. I'll update you what happened after practice or once the standings come out, whichever is the last one. I hope it's the first. I don't want to wait another 5 days!

P.S. I noticed something from my last post. Remember how I mentioned the Spring City vs. Blainsport series? I wanted to know the best way figure out the overall best. I didn't want to go by win-loss, since the teams are totally different every year. So I figured to add up the points scored every year for each team, find the total, and the biggest total is the winner. It's a tie! If you add it up, in the past 3 years, Spring City scored 240 and so did Blainsport!

Question of the post:
What was the temple adorned...

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...