Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Quizzing at LMH. Must be the season opener.

After a long countdown for roughly 8 months, the day and the hour finally arrived. The quizzing season was ready to begin. I was sooo excited, I could not fall asleep until 2 in the morning! I was pumped and ready. For the opening quizzing season, I decided to dress up. I dressed up all in black, and to top it off, I had a Burger King crown spray painted black, the goth crown I call it. Low rider, the singing dancing hamster, was my quizzing buddy. I decided not to go with an energy drink because I only had 5 and needed to ration.

Since it was the opening of the quiz season, the church got the quiz team up to pray for them and bless them for the whole year. Our biological families and our church family was behind us. And I know on top of that I got supporters from Frederick church and other places. Since it was the 3rd Sunday of the year, it was fellowship meal. The quizzers got together at one table and studied some while eating. We followed with practice at 2 PM. Practice went extremely well. The full team was there and every time 4 quizzers quizzed out. That's for all 4 matches. We knew the material back and forth. We only had half an hour for free time, where Tim, Bryan and Mike played basketball in 25 degree weather. I stayed inside and listened to text on my mp3 player. We had pizza for dinner, and headed off to LMH for quizzing.

We arrived at LMH around 6 PM. The first people I met were Zion, but Zion was inside and and we were outside. I hugged them through the window. Inside I met up with the rest of them, including Deanna, who I found out was quizzing. I don't think she's quizzed since two years ago. Later I found out she was buzzing in, a good start for someone who hasn't quizzed for a while. Saw other people, went in the auditorium, and worshipped. Heard a lot of new songs, but always do in the new year of quizzing. Heard also Merv's joke, and thought is was poorer than usual. Anyway, it wrapped up with Fred making some announcements, and a room changed.

I didn't have a match yet, so I watched one first. I did some scouting by watching Blainsport vs Paradise 3. Blainsport had changed from last year. This year, there was only 4 quizzers, 3 of which were new. It seemed like Paradise 3 was taking off, but Blainsport caught up and match became close. Blainsport was one away from team bonus, but by end could not get it. The score ended in a tie of 75.

Now it was our turn up. We were in classroom 104 with Jaimie Detweiler, arguably the most favorite quizmaster. The opponent was Good Shepherd 2. We prayed together as a whole. Then the quizmatch started. Tim quizzed out by question 3, 2 on buzzes and 1 a bonus. When the first timeout was taken, I said, "I blinked and Tim quizzed out!" The next question was a situation question, and I got it. We next got team bonus. I followed up by quizzing out on question 10. Mike was the last one to quiz out on question 12. With the questions Good Shepherd could get ahold of, someon quizzed out. by the end of the match, we won 135 to 55, just as predicted.

My next match was fourth round, against the team I scouted Blainsport. We took the exact same seating as our last match. Once again, we prayed with Blainsport. The match began in a fast pace as usual. This time I quizzed out before Tim. Mike still quizzed out third. We got team bonus. After we got team bonus, Chelsea buzzed in and got it right! Pretty impressive for a rookie. She also got a bonus, but didn't get it because she said houses instead of homes, which is nasty but true. Christine, after giving the fourth question for team bonus, got a second question right. She was one question away from a quiz out, and she was given the oppurtunity at the last question, but couldn't get it. We shutout Blainsport with a score of 155. That was wow! As we shook hands, I felt weird. I didn't know what to say to them. I almost wanted to apologize.

My day was over, but not the quizzing day. The next match I saw was a Reading match. Reading had already quizzed before, and it wasn't the best performance. This match was different. Reading's final score was 105 points, 3 quizouts. I didn't see anything out of Morgen, a bit disappointing. They did good. I finished the night with watching Hopewell 1 vs. Paradise 3. I must admit, this was more of scouting for a much future week. It was fun to watch anyway. I saw a quizzer from Dennis's Hopewell 4 team in 2005. Vicki scorekept. It was a good match. The only criticism I had was when the quizmaster got off. "In what books is it written, Do not..." when it became key at "books." The night finished off with having snack and socializing. Met up with the rest of the quizzers I knew. Since Mike's, Tim's and Chelsea's parents were all there, they drived their quizzer home, and it was just the three in the van.

Reflections: It was awesome on Sunday night. Bruce has no idea on the action he missed out on. We thought we did good with 135 points, and then we scored 155, then we thought that was very good. Our coaches were very impressed with us. I was impressed with everyone. Christine really came through for us on team bonus. In the two matches she scored 30 points and almost quizzed out. She is the most dependable quizzer for team bonus. She did get two errors, the only two we earned all night, but it's a sign she's trying hard. It's just so ironic because she is the last one on the team I would suspect to do that. Chelsea got 1o points, and on a buzz in, too. Not many rookies can do that. Tim, Mike, and I are all perfect quizzers. I think this is the first time I have ever seen 3 quizzers on the same team perfect. This is most meaningful for Mike, who has totally turned it around compared to the past two years. But don't forget this is extremely meaningful to me too. I haven't been perfect since 2004! We average 145 points/match. That should put us on the top of the league. If it doesn't, I don't know what will. God was awesome to us, and I pray He will keep blessing us in the same way this whole season.

Quizzing question of the post:
What 5 will the Gentiles do to the Son of Man?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flog him, riducle him, mock him, kill him, and, uh...... spit on him? I hope thats right

Anonymous said...

lookin forward to next week, buddy. dont worry, i already started studying.

Anonymous said...

yeahhh
I didnt get any points
I was REALLY dissappointed too.
But next week I'll kick some major butt :]

I wasn't there this past week due to a death in the family.

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...