Monday, February 28, 2005

It's all good at Goods

I arrived at Spring City around 12:30. Since I hadn't been at school since noon of Thursday, I had been studying like mad. I was aiming for three quiz outs. When I arrived, every one was there. Last time everyone was there was two Sundays ago. We started practicing after eating and opening secret sponser gifts. I got a kitty marionette (is that spelled right? I could never spell correctly in foreign languages). In three practice quiz matches, I only quizzed out on one. I needed to study more.

For dinner, we went to someone's house who served us dinner of baked ziti, salad, garlic bread and cupcakes. I only ate a little ziti. While the rest of them goofed off, I studied some more. Then we headed off to Goods. It was a 90 minute drive. Yikes! It had to be one of the farthest drives we had. The whole time we got rapid-fire questions. When we arrived, I chose to get more questions. I nearly answer all of them correct. I reviewed situation, numbers, and hard-to-pronounce places. I was ready as ever.

We had the first match. It was against Hope Community 1. Hope Community 1 is the third place all-boys team. The match started out close. We got team bonus, but then Hope Community 1 did as well. The only points I scored were the ten from helping with the team bonus. They gave a bad question at the end, which we should have contested. Hope Community won 120-70.

Our second match was in the middle. Is was against Goods 1, who was in sixteenth at the time. We once again got team bonus. Both Brandon and I quizzed out. I had a scary buzz. I buzzed in on, "What did the three hundred men in thirty companies...". I started with "trumpets", then paused. The quiz master kept looking at his book and up at me. I continued with, "...in their right hands..." Still looking at me and the book, so I went on with "...and in their left hand was empty jars...." Same looking at me and his book. I finished what was left in my brain with, "and torches." Time ran out. He looked at his judges. They nodded back. "Correct" he said. We won with 125 points. Later on, he told me he wasn't sure if I had to specify whose trumpets. But I didn't, so I was right.

We wrapped up the night with our last match. It was against Hope Community 3. Hope Community 3 is a second-to-last all-girls team. I quizzed out first. Brandon began with 2 errors, but later on quizzed out. It was scary. No team bonus this time. We won 70-45. I can't believe it! The coach wanted a foul on Michael for buzzing in too early. He thought Michael buzzed in early, making it impossible for one of the quizzers to quiz out. That's unbelieveable. First, Michael was totally unaware that she could have quizzed out or that he buzzed in early. Second of all, Michael was the only one preventing us from team bonus. Of course he would buzz in fast. Third of all, his wrong answer was in the right vincity of review text, not just a wild guess. Fourth of all, I think Michael is incapable fo doing such a block, both mentally and psychologically.

Reflections: I did exceptional. I would have liked three quiz outs, but only got two. I'm happy that the quiz match I didn't quiz out I at least scored 10 points. I think I shouldn't hurt my personal score too bad. With the team scoring 265 points, I don't think we'll either move up or down on the team standings. There are two questions we should have contested, but at the same time, twice Goods 1 could have contested our answers.

Quizzing Question of the post:
When did Samson take a young goat and go to visit his wife?

No comments:

An Evaluation of Children's Church Songs

I have an atypical daughter. Despite all the baby books stating that infants sleep 10-12 hours during the night, along with 2 hour-long naps...